Job Opening: Director of Strategic Engagement
The Pace Energy and Climate Center is seeking a Director of Strategic Engagement.
The Director of Strategic Engagement will report to the Energy and Climate Center's Executive Director to pursue the policy goals of Pace through direct engagement with state agencies, the Executive Chamber, the New York State legislature, and the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), as well as working with other energy, environmental, health and consumer organizations. The Director will have responsibility for coordinating fund raising and grant proposal development, submission, and management relating to strategic engagement activities. The Director also coordinates similar activities of other Center staff, and engages with and supervises student interns on project work.
Areas of focus are likely to include engagement of:
- New York Public Service Commission (PSC) on the Reforming the Energy Vision initiative, and related pending matters such as the Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard (EEPS) proceeding, implementation of the state Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS), continuation of the System Benefits Charge (SBC), rate cases, and development of smart grid and microgrid infrastructure.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) on environmental and climate change policies, including possible expansion and implementation of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI), development of new comprehensive state climate change action plan, and promulgation of innovative rules and regulations to expedite the siting and permitting of environmentally superior distributed generation.
- Clean Energy Organizations Coalition on regulatory and policy matters. The CEOC is an association of clean energy non-governmental organizations focused on New York electricity and energy policy and regulation.
- Foundation/Funder Program Managers and Staff on grants, strategic initiatives, reporting, and program management
This person will assist in the preparation of comments on public utility commission proceedings, reports, legal briefs, white papers, and other materials related to energy use and the environment.
This person will manage the Center’s involvement in utility regulatory proceedings at the NY Public Service Commission, with duties that include docket management, assistance in preparation of expert testimony and exhibits, tracking filing deadlines, and assistance representing the Center at case hearings and in other forums.
This person will also support Center staff development and intern programs, fundraising and grant application processes, and interaction with Pace Law School administration and management.
The Director of Strategic Engagement must have:
- A law degree or advanced degree in environmental science or policy or related field;
- Experience in or knowledge about (1) electric utility industry issues, (2) climate change issues and regulation, and (3) legal, regulatory and market barriers to clean energy technologies and energy efficiency;
- Experience in or knowledge about economic regulation of utilities or environmental regulation, or other relevant experience analyzing complex energy, regulatory and administrative policy matters, with an ability to discuss such matters fluently with a variety of audiences including policy makers, energy and environmental organizations, industry, and the general public;
- Experience in policy-level activities at a state government agency, either as a member of policy staff at such agency or as a participant in agency proceedings; and
- The capability of operating independently as a self-starter; outstanding communication and interpersonal skills; and the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
This position is supported by grants and contracts and its duration depends on available sponsor funding.
Pace University offers a competitive total rewards package including tuition benefits for employees & their family; flexible work-life options; and generous time off.
Please visit https://careers.pace.edu and select "Staff Positions" to view this opportunity by its job title or Posting Number 0602763.
Applications are encouraged from people of color, individuals of varied sexual and affectional orientations, individuals who are differently-abled, veterans of the armed forces or national service, and anyone whose background and experience will contribute to the diversity of the law school. Pace is committed to achieving completely equal opportunity in all aspects of University life.
Applications should be submitted through the Pace University website referenced above.